January 15, 2005

Jesus and football

I am watching the Jets and Steelers playoff game and taking a break from the genocide debate. (BTW, I don't need no stinking bible verse to tell me that genocide is bad--just as I don't have to find a verse to support gender equality, racial equality, or that slavery is wrong.) I have decided to cheer against Pitt because I kind of like the Jets, and also because I find the Ben Roethlisberger "I have never lost as a rookie" annoying. I know, he is donating his playoff check to the tsunami recovery, which is great, but he still bugs me. Plus, he once wanted to play with "P-F-J -- meaning play for Jesus -- on his shoes." Seriously, what does that mean? As I watched the Jets miss two possible game winning field goals, I could hear Big Ben thanking Jesus for that. It inspired me. So here is a list of things I expect from conservative Christians if they want my respect:

1) Stand up and complain every time some NFL, MLB, or NCAA athlete suggests that his/her athletic endeavors is all about God. When Kurt Warner did it, it was annoying, and it is annoying when others do it too. If that is what God is about, let me out. You want my respect, then step up and speak out against trivializing our faith.

2) Make Bush actually act like a Christian. You could all sign a letter in the NYTimes (or some periodical that Bush actually reads, if that is possible) and say something like: "Mr. President, we appreciate that you support our faith and thank you for that. But we also think that you must also follow through on those pronouncements with fruit. It is time for you to acknowledge your mistakes and sins before the nation you lead. You may have thought you had the justification for the war in Iraq, but you were wrong, and you must take responsibility for that. It is important for the integrity of our faith."

Is that so hard?

3) Say something about the environment. You believe that God created the earth, now step up and do something to protect it. If that means you don't drive an SUV or consume unabated, that might be a sacrifice you should make. But say something. Do something to take the Jerry Falwell doofus idiot off the stand.

4) The American death penalty is horrible, and the Christian endorsement of it risks turning the faith into a laughingstock. Think about it, we know that we have had people on death row that the jury, prosecutor, and executioner were completely convinced were guilty, only to find out because of other evidence that they were about to kill the wrong man. What makes you so sure that hasn't happened already? And if you are so willing to allow possible innocent life be clinically executed by the state, then what does that say about you? Stand up, dammit.

5) Step up and show that you value depth. If you are more concerned about the f-word than you are about global warming or executing innocent people, what does that say about you? Not much, that is what.

I don't think I am expecting that much. I am asking you to actually look at what you say you believe and act on it. Write a letter to the President. Write your congressperson or senator. Do something beyond reading "The Purpose Driven Life." Please. Come on!

2 comments:

Streak said...

Yeah, I haven't said this on capital punishment, but I really wonder why American Christians are so glad to share company with the former Iraq, Iran, China, and other state governments who are so quick to execute people?

On another note, obviously, Ben's theology is working for him now--they eked out a win. I am reminded of David Carr's thanking Jesus for a 50 yard td pass. Is that better than Randy Moss? Maybe. But let'e elevate the bar a little and demand that Christians recognize that God doesn't give a rat's ass who wins the Super Bowl! We might care, and that might be fun, but it doesn't matter, and that kind of God-talk is just vapid and ultimately dangerous.

Catholic Girl said...

So what happens if Kurt Warner goes up against Ben Roethlisberger? Do we find out which of them Jesus likes better? Suddenly I'm reminded of Elijah and the priests of Ba'al. "Why can't you seem to complete a touchdown pass? Maybe your god is sleeping! Maybe he's out of town!"

<< Step up and show that you value depth. If you are more concerned about the f-word than you are about global warming or executing innocent people, what does that say about you? Not much, that is what. >>

Thank you for this. I wholeheartedly agree.