January 25, 2005

McLaren and empire

One of those web pages I had open but hadn't read. Matches very well with the previous post on the perils of missions piggybacking military efforts.

ICTHUS: Brian McLaren responds to CT article: "In the last few years, I’ve become more convinced that “postmodern” is actually a small slice of a larger movement in social history that could be called “postcolonialism.” True, these days U.S. foreign policy threatens to return us to an ugly era that might be labeled “the return of colonialism,” but hoping against hope that it will fail, I am deeply committed to finding Christian leaders in the global south who, formerly colonized, now seek a more just and peaceful postcolonial future."


I have read most of McLaren'ts New Kind of Christian and found it intriguing. I then recognized that many of the bloggers I frequent had been talking about this book and the "emergent" church movement for sometime. I am still unsure what to think of all of that, but must say that my favorite part of McLaren's book was his challenge to the cultural assumptions of Christianity, and the inability for most American Christians to see the difference.

I welcome any comments on McLaren.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

streak, just saw this entry, i need to read that book. we're going to be visiting an 'emergent' church located here in manchester. it should be interesting, i'm not really sure what it's all about, but i guess i'll figure it out!!
brooke