January 8, 2005

Torture and Tsunami

This article on Christianity and torture is interesting and worth reading. Also interesting how the comments (at least the ones I read) were so critical. One defended our actions as important to protect our troops, another is offended that we are criticizing our country while not recognizing the evil that we fight. All of this came up during the tsunami debate as well, with some critical of American stinginess and others absolute in their claim that America is superior. That last part is what gets me. It is as if Americans have so incoporated their own sense of superiority that they are unable to conceive that their institutions might be capable of evil. Unfortunately, for many, it is tied up in this sense of Christian nation, which if you believe, would probably preclude us being evil.

These two themes provide us some interesting ways to talk about American and Christianity. For me, it seems that both speak to basic Christianity 101 issues; or what makes Christianity unique and worth discussing. There are two Bible stories (I am sure there are many more) that make the argument for Christianity as a unique and radical faith: the Good Samaritan, and the "Love thy enemy" charge.

Streak's other friend and I were discussing the Samaritan story the other day. The context of the story is our responsibility to our neighbors. A man is beaten and robbed, and left on the side of the road. Two consecutive religious leaders avoid this man laying in the dust, but the Samaritan helps him. The focus of the story, however, is not on the robbers. They are clearly bad (as are the terrorists we face today) and capable of great evil. No excuse is made for them, but the focus of the story is the responsibility of the neighbors. The priest and Levite fail this test miserably. Those who focus on the evil of terrorists who behead innocent people miss the responsibility of the rest of us. Our charge is to love our neighbor as ourselves, and if that does not apply to the Iraqi prisoners or the tsunami victims, then it means nothing.

Likewise, the Bible is clear on how we are to address our enemies. “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you." That is pretty radical and hard to combine with a statement like I have read so often suggesting that the enemy's evil is our focus.

I write this with humility in that I know I have failed both. Not only have I passed those on the street who need help, but I have hated my enemy. I am working on that. But what bothers me the most about the Christian dialogue I read is the complete dismissal of these texts. Love your enemy doesn't apply to us because....well, I have never received an adequate reason. But I suggest that if you dismiss these key challenges, you are dismissing the heart of how to live as a Christian. If you are not commanded to love your enemy or neighbor, what good are you? What good is your faith? How is it different than the local Country Club?

2 comments:

kbonline said...

A note on the story of the Good Samaritan. I think it's relevant to note that Samaritans were the despised minority. It's as if Jerry Falwell were lying injured on the side of the road and a loud and proud gay man were the only one to help him. I see the story as not only about our responsibility to our neighbors, but also about the about the reality that those we think are the "good" people may not be, and that no matter how despised you are, you still are called to be a good person.

My two cents,
Kathy at Random Thoughts on Politics

Streak said...

Great point about the Samaritan. It is interesting how this story seems to have slipped in importance.