January 17, 2005

Not one Damn Dime Day

Some of my friends had talked about a silent protest on inauguration day. My friend in KS suggested all of us wearing blue shirts that said something simple and respectful. Maybe something like "President Bush is supposed to represent all of us, not just a slim majority." But that takes organization and I don't have the energy for that. Here is a simple way to note that we don't appreciate the right turn this country is taking. These organizers are suggesting that we all boycott consumerism for 24 hours. Just don't buy anything. No food, no gas, no nothing. Plan ahead and cook with your friends. Something like that.

I like this, because one of my biggest beefs with this president is that he has never called this country to any kind of sacrifice (unless you count sacrificing civil rights, or perhaps the future of programs to clean up the environment or to help the poor). This speaks to that runaway consumer mentality that fuels so much of our discussion and stops us from ever addressing environmental issues or global poverty.

And yes, I realize that I said I wouldn't blog about our President again today. My defense is that this isn't about him, but about us and what we can do to make a statement.

Thanks to Carlos over at Jesus Politics, btw, for the link. I don't know how he keeps up with all that stuff!

No comments: