January 8, 2006

Aslan happy meals

The Passion of the Christ proved that Christians were quite willing to commercialize their faith. Remember the pewter nail? At the time, I suggested that this was unseemly--that if Christians were willing to commercialize the crucifixion, then they were going to eventually see Christ on the Cross selling pain relief. Christians said, no, we are just showing our faith with our purchasing power. It isn't commercialization, it is an act of faith.

Hmm. Zalm has a great post (with pictures) of the commercialization of Narnia, and this critique of the practice. In the article, the author cites Bill Watterson's insistence that there was something about his cartoon strip that was more valuable than plastering those images on key chains and stuffed dolls.

. . . I don't want the issue of Hobbes's reality settled by a doll manufacturer. When everything fun and magical is turned into something for sale, the strip's world is diminished."


Or when serious aspects of faith are marketed like a Garfield coffee mug, the faith of millions is diminished.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for both links, Streak.

The way E.J. Park, the author of the CT article the link goes to, puts it, Hobbes is a much better Christ figure than Aslan for our age of "Consumption As Christian Witness." Watterston makes a brilliant point about how the faith in Hobbes and his relationship with Calvin is best understood and best preserved by NOT commercializing it.

I'm still afraid to ask where on Mr. Tumnus one must blow but I sure hope its more akin to CPR than anything else.

Anonymous said...

I've heard of selling Jesus by the pound, but selling him with a quarter-pounder is certainly new - but probably not much of an improvement.

Anonymous said...

Christians have been commercializing their faith for a long time. The pewter nail was just (for me) the most sickening example. Although Jesus hawking Tylenol, Bactine and Band Aids would probably be worse! We haven't got there...Yet!(?)

However, for me it's a little tougher to get worked up about Narnia being commercialized and Aslan being a Happy Meal toy. I am not sure that we should consider Narnia "a serious aspect of faith".

Maybe I am missing the point of your post (hey, I am dense - I admit it) but it seems to me that if we are of the position that "Any regard for the consequences of transforming Narnia into forms of merchandise is deflected by the assurance that the message of Aslan will not be compromised" we are in trouble indeed.

It's good allegory...and that's all. If we are relying on it to be anything other than that I think it is we as Christians who are diminishing our faith, not the marketers.

Streak said...

Adam, I don't think you are dense, just wrong! :) Kidding, of course. I think you make a good point. My frustration with the Passion hawking was, as you felt too, horrible and sickening.

The Narnia characters probably more match the Calvin and Hobbes issue for me. It isn't really about representing faith, but about commercializing magic. I feel the same way when a great rock song is used to sell diapers. I appreciate that Watterson passed up millions to keep to his vision of Hobbes.

Narnia, however, was always linked in my mind to my faith, and seeing those characters commercialized as just another Star Wars character does bug me.

Anonymous said...

Streak, I do understand your point and I thank you for answering kindly! Not always the case out there in ChristoBlog Land!

I suppose that I understand your point and would feel the same way if Narnia was "linked in my mind to my faith", which I admit it never has been.

Great post, great discussion. I thank you!