January 22, 2006

Cooking

I have become a bit of a foody. Or at least, that is what some people call me.

I like to cook. It relaxes me. Part of why I get annoyed at simplistic gender stereotypes. Speaking of that, I played golf with two other guys last week. Or the week before, I forget.

Anyway, we are on the 5th or 6th tee and my two playing partners are trying to figure out who has the biggest driver. I wondered if we were going to have a juvenile conversation about breasts and such. My friends laughed and asked what was wrong with that?

Well, it was just a big tease. There was to be no juvenile discussion--certainly about breasts. Two holes later, the same trio was caught up discussing the proper cooking methods for home-made pizza.

There go your gender stereotypes. Three guys playing golf--talking about cooking rather than girls or cars.

So, back to cooking. SOF gave me a mixer last year, and this year a food processor. I have been experiementing with making my own pizza crust. So far, so good. My latest creation was to recreate what a local pizzeria called a calzone, but others might call a filled pizza. Two crusts and plenty of traditional toppings in the middle. I like sausage and chopped pepperoni.

Anyway, this is starting to be one of my favorites. The last time, I used kalamata olives and I think those were a little salty--but other than that great.

One other thing I am considering is to use a pizza screen. My thought is that the screen might allow for a crispier crust, and might really help with the filled crust. Any one have experience with these?

*****

My next experimentation is making pork braciole--rolled pork cutlets with a bread crumb, parmesan and parseley filling. I read about it online and gave it a try. It has been a good dish, but I think I have a ways to go. The filling is good, and after the rolls are browned, they braise for a couple of hours in a red sauce.

First, this is my first time for really flattening cuts of meat. When I went to buy the tenderizer, I was going to be funny and ask for a "meat hammer." As it turns out, that is exactly what it is called! But I am not sure I am using it right. I think I might need to cue up a Bush speech while I am hammering away so I can really get it thin. But I am a bit afraid of really hammering on our counter tops. Am thinking that next time i will move my process to the floor on chopping boards so I can really swing away.

Anyway, I am open to any and all suggestions.

5 comments:

Bootleg Blogger said...

Streak
Sounds like you are having some fun. When feeling lazy, we get a nice pizza crust from our bread maker- put in the ingredients and take out a nice dough.
The screen may do what you want for the crispier crust, but a really nice item for baking your pizza as well as numerous other possibilities is a baking stone (The Pampered Chef, Ltd.) They are pretty amazing. I'm not a rep or anything. Ours was a gift from a family member. After the game today I'm sure there will be plenty of therapeutic guitar playing, cooking, and eating!
Later
BB

Streak said...

I am starting to wonder where the Pampered Chef people operate. We are on our second stone and I like them a lot. but those stones, while they hold heat very well, don't necessarily allow for crispy crust on the bottom. I think it holds a certain amount of moisture.

Anyway. You guys should mess with the homemade crust. It is the only way to go and not that hard.

Yeah, the Bronco game didn't go as well as hoped. But then again, I was not sold on them going in. I cheered for them--full throated cheers and obscenitites. But wasn't convinced they had the superbowl-type team this year.

No sin in losing. None.

Anonymous said...

Streak -
I'm going to second BB's call for a baking stone. It's the only way to cook a pizza, and you can get a good one at Walmart for a good price. Just pay attention to the cleaning instructions...no water! If you want to get really adventurous, trry a stuffed pizza, way different than a calzone (had you even heard of a calzone before the pizzeria guy told you about it? Sounded like it was new to you.) Stuffed pizza is a full-sized pizza, large crust on bottom, fill with pizza toppings, cover with the other crust, seal it all around, and bake it. Pure heaven.
I am also the chef in my family. If there were better money and better hours, I would have gone to a culinary institute instead of working with computers. My wife sent me to a Thai cooking class. I can make my own ravioli and Chinese dumplings from scratch. Its a great hobby, and I agree with you on the stress relief! A day in the kitchen is unbelieveably theraputic!
As far as the meat hammer, just get yourself a wooden carving board, or even one of those "self healing" super plastic ones. Any tabletop or counter should be able to withstand the banging. You dont want to do it too hard, but certainly firm enough to flatten it out. Flank steak is a good one to tenderize, as it is already flat. If you are interested, I'll send you my recipe for sausage-stuffed flank steak. Heart attack on a plate, but one of the best things I've ever eaten.
Good luck with the braciole. Its a tough one to make, so give it a few tries to perfect it. I haven't attempted that one yet myself. Its on my list...after the turducken! :)
Happy cooking from a fellow man-chef!

Streak said...

Joe, you are impressive! Thai cooking?

I am sold on the pizza stone, but have really been successful with my regular pizza on the rack *above* the stone. I usually put the crust in by itself for a few moments, then take it out for the toppings and the magic. Cooking on the rack really makes for a crispy crust and cooking with the stone below lends the good heating retention. Or so says Alton Brown.

I am intrigued by the Thai cooking. Home-made ravioli and chinese dumplings just sound amazing. I have not tried Asian cooking, so that is certainly an option for the future.

Thanks for the comments. I really think I have to pound harder on the pork. Cooking the chicken tonight, it was so much easier to flatten than the pork. I need to wail a little and then cook a little longer. Need to let the pork cook longer and slower to get that tenderness. Or I think that is the answer.

Anonymous said...

It's easier than it sounds...just sometimes the ingredients are hard to get a hold of. Thankfully I have an oriental food store 1/4 mile from where I live!

I hear from a friend of mine that another great way to make pizza with crispy crust is on the BBQ grill! Haven't braved that one yet.

What kind of chicken did you use for the parmigiana? I've never used a tenderizer on chicken before. Rather, I take the boneless chicken breast and cut it in half width-wise to make two thin pieces instead of one thick one. That usually does the trick.

As far as the pork, don't pound it too much...it doesn't have the tendons that beef does, and doesn't normally require the hammer. But you are right on the money with the cooking method...slower and longer will give you the juiciest pork you have ever eaten! Stop cooking it at the first sign that the pink is gone from the middle, as I have found pork very easy to overcook, even if by only a few minutes.