January 30, 2006

State of the what now?

My friend CIL has a funny quirk. (Well, more than one.) He is such a diehard Cowboy fan and 49er hater that he denies that Dwight Clark ever existed and certainly that he made some "catch" in an NFC championship. As a Notre Dame alum, he knows that Joe Montana was a good Irish qb, but is still amazed that he had such a short pro career in Kansas City....

I am thinking of trying this denial bit myslf. It seems to work for CIL (assuming by "work" I don't mean "sane") :) So, back to the state of the union. My schedule is a bit rough this semester, but man am I glad that I am busy Tuesday evening. So glad. I am not sure I can stand more references to 9-11, terrorism, awkward defenses of evesdropping (because he is the Prez) and those weird nods to people standing that later the President will respond, "Chalabi? Who?"

Walking into class, I put on a playlist of stuff I am putting together for my 18 yr old neice. It works for me. We shall see what she thinks. I am planning three cds: one on old stuff (80s old that she may not have heard)--Neil Young, REM, Pete Townshend and Peter Gabriel (she is a big Springsteen fan and I think also aware of U2's work); one on alt-country (Ryan Adams, Steve Earle, Patty Griffin, etc); and then this one I call "new" for lack of a better word:

Arcade Fire: Rebellion and Wake Up
Gemma Hayes: My God and Happy Sad
Kathleen Edwards: Copied Keys
Sufjan Stevens: John Wayne Gacy Jr.
Spoon: Sister Jack and I summon You
Shins: New Slang
Wilco: Heavy Metal Drummer and Shot in the Arm
Josh Rouse: Its the Nighttime

5 comments:

P M Prescott said...

I must really be getting old. Didn't recognize a single artist on your list.

Anonymous said...

Good choices, Streak, but I thought The Two Sides of M. Valentine was your favorite Spoon song?

Streak said...

Greek Shadow, I hear you. Living in Oklahoma has kind of forced me to look outside for new music sources. Otherwise, I would only listen to Bad Company or Toby Keith.

ubub. smartass. :)

Anonymous said...

Now if I wanted to be a smart ass, I would have referred to someone's Freebird-like shouts of "play the second song on the CD!" down in Austin. But those are tactics of failed regimes 8,000 miles away who harbor terrorists and seek weapons of mass destruction, whereas Bucky digs freedom.

Streak said...

are you implying that I didn't remember the actual song name?

And the "freebird-like" really hurts. Hurts.