January 15, 2006

What about them Broncos?

Last night SOF and I watched the Denver Broncos stumble through a victory over the defending Superbowl champs. We have been Bronco fans for years. SOF used to go to games with her dad. We remember the dark years--the blowout Superbowl losses. But we also remember the magic. The diving first down in the SB against Green Bay. The playoff comeback against Cleveland (of course), but also a dramatic drive against Houston (the Oilers). We were living in Houston at the time, and I remember taking off my Denver sweatshirt when I made a pizza run.

Speaking of Houston, I remember SOF and I scoring tickets to see Denver play the Oilers. This was during the Run n' Shoot days and Houston was pretty good in the regular season. We sat in the upper levels and watched as the Oilers jumped out on top and the game was essentially over. Our row included another couple--him a little on the drunk side. I kept an eye on him and tried to keep our team loyalties quiet. No need to push it. But SOF was harder to control. :) Toward the end of the game, Elway tossed a long (meaningless) TD pass and she jumped up yelling. Drunk guy glared at her, then at me. Heh.

Well, Elway is selling cars (or whatever) now. So it has been a little lean. As we heard (ad nauseum) the Broncos had not won a playoff game without Elway--until last night. SOF actually got into the game as well--something she has avoided during the Brian Griese years, and she has not been sold on Jake Plummer--beard and all. But last night she was into the game. It was fun. My mom called when Champ Bailey nearly returned that INT 103 yards. That was fun too. CIL and I chatted during the game--mocking the idiotic Dodge hemi and Burger King commercials. All fun.

On with the playoffs.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go BIG D!!!!! (and Jake, too). :)

WJB said...

I want to know who has the temerity to mock John Elway as the biggest used car salesman in Colorado or that Jake Plummer has a terrible beard and a proclivity to through left handed!!!

P M Prescott said...

Since the Cowboys are having lean times the Broncos make a good back up team to root for. I could not believe how close Pittsburg came to throwing their game away. It'll be good for Denver to host the game next week.

Bootleg Blogger said...

Streak
Please inform SOF that true fans don't base allegiance on one player. I hesitate to be too critical since she was responsible for one of my two Mile-High Pilgrimages and the only one in which I got to sit in the South Stands, for which I will be eternally grateful. Any comparisons of past, current or future quarterbacks, whether they be Broncos or not, to Elway will be futile. John did it all, including going out on top. SOF"s reluctance is understandable given the Griese experience, but since hers is an allegiance handed down through a family that was there for the early years, I'm sure she'll get back into it full force soon. What is the period of mourning for the loss of the greatest quarterback ever? I guess seven years is about right.
Later
BB