January 12, 2006

I can't figure this guy out

I have written of my frustration with Warren and his ilk before. Though I may have his "ilk" confused. Here he addresses the linking of politics and religion:
"Warren is a friend of President Bush and a repeat visitor to the White House. But he also met for several hours at Saddleback last month with Sen. John Kerry, the 2004 Democratic presidential nominee, to discuss issues such as poverty and the environment.

'I'm worried that evangelicals be identified too much with one party or the other. When that happens, you lose your prophetic role of speaking truth to power,' Warren said. 'And you have to defend stupid things that leaders do.'"


And that is exactly where most evangelicals are. Defending stupid, immoral or even illegal actions by Delay, Bush, Rove et. al. Not only is it a problem, but it robs evangelicals of any credibility. After all, anyone who defended Delay can hardly be trusted to really address Christ-like behavior, can they? Unless Christ was nicknamed "the Hammer" and took pleasure in destroying his critics.

Warren is clearly a little taken with himself. He likes being a celebrity and power broker. Yet he intrigues me.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Yeah, Warren has been changing his tune over the past 9 months or so. During the 2004 election he made some pretty odd comments about gay marriage and stem cell research being non-negotiable, but economic issues are debatable.

But lately he's been talking more and more about so-called "progressive issues:" poverty, racism, the environment.

kgp

Anonymous said...

Yeah, it's pretty popular to be progressive these days...

Stayed tuned for "40 Days of Postmoderm Purpose".

Puke...

DLW said...

I think its a good sign.

Rick Warren is definitely taken with himself, but he does seem like a force for change in the Southern Baptist and Evangelical world.

Another great leader in this respect is George Verwer, founder of Operation Mobilization.
dlw
ps, let me know if you're interested in reading my Swedish Baptist Pietism paper....

Streak said...

"40 Days of Postmoderm Purpose".

Now that is funny. DLW, I will let you know. I am so swamped right now, I know I won't get to it.