January 4, 2006

Newspapers Urge President to Quit--sigh

Bootleg Blogger sent this column that essentially repeats the absurdity of people calling for the impeachment of Clinton because of sex, while making excuses for Bush spying on his own people. It is really old news by now. Well, the spying part is new, but people's priorites have been screwed up for a while.

Take this study that SUVs are not safer. We have known that for sometime, but people continue to buy them. I saw this very, very stupid woman on the evening news last night talking about how she felt safer in her Tahoe. When presented with this evidence, she siad that it didn't convince her--that she was thinking of getting an even bigger SUV. I guess we don't have to look far to see the kind of thinking that gives us Intelligent Design, or Iraq's involement in 9-11, or cutting taxes during wartime. Not only is it stupid, but it demonstrates great disregard for everyone else. SUVs waste fuel and pollute--and even if they are safer for that child (assuming it doesn't flip) in a collision with a smaller vehicle, it is absolutely more dangerous for everyone else on the road.

I guess it fits the GWB vision of America. "Get yours. Keep yours. Screw everyone else. Period." All the while make sure to put a "I vote by the Book" bumper sticker (complete with the image of the Bible) on the back of the polluting Suburban. (Yes, I actually saw one of those today) Sheesh.

Speaking of that, I think we were all horrified by the deaths of those miners--and the horrible false information that really crushed so many people. Watching the news was just wrenching. I can only imagine. Today some bloggers were pointing out that Bush appointed mining execs to all the boards that oversee mining and mining safety. Don't get me wrong--I am not blaming Bush for this. Coal mining is among the most dangerous jobs. Nor is he to blame for the shoddy reporting that replicated--in a horrible macabre way--the childhood game of "telephone."

But watching that reminded me of how corporate our country is. Bush makes it worse in that he puts them in charge of regulating themselves--which I think is just stupid. But the problem is widespread. Our media is almost completely corporate. Our regulators are corporate. Our schools are increasingly corporate sponsored and dependent on corporate money. And again, don't misunderstand me. Many corporations do good work. They certainly employ people and many do good work at a community level. But they will always seek to protect their interests. I understand that. But when what we learn about our government is all through the lens of profitability, I think we are in great danger.

It is my hope that we will rekindle that sense that we have a responsibility beyond our own comfort and wealth. That we will shame those who choose their own comfort at the cost of the rest of us. That we will demand accountability from our leaders. That we will demand that the public airwaves be used--at least partially--to inform us. And not about TomKat or Michael Jackson. But about those public policy matters that effect us all.

Yeah, I know. I am dreaming. But it is a nice dream.

1 comment:

Wasp Jerky said...

Speaking of the President spying, it seems that NBC may be investigating whether or not a CNN reporter was spied on. It's all very conjectural at this point, but I wouldn't put it past these guys.