February 15, 2005

Brief Blognouncement: Streak's Friend and I in inferior marriage

We watched the Daily Show tonight only to discover that Arkansas Governor Huckabee and his wife "upgraded" their regular marriage to a "covenant" marriage.

Streak's friend and I are now concerned that our marriage is insufficient and possibly obsolete. Perhaps it will no longer be supported and will be phased out by the newer versions. Those vows seemed real, but now I see that they weren't.

Instead of "I take thee," it is now "I really take thee and mean it"...."no, I am serious this time"..."starting now!"

Does this mean that people have to check forms differently, or correct people? "Are you married?" "No, we are covenant married!"

And the ultimate irony. Our marriage now in question if we visit Arkansas? Begs the joke, does the covenant marriage include those related before marriage? "I take thee my cousin in holy covenant matrimony, to share a still or not a still, to kill frogs with pointed sticks or not to."

Come on! It is Arkansas. You all made fun of it when it was the Clintons!

It's a world gone mad. Arkansas is now looking down on the rest of the country for inferior marital habits!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And here I thought the whole getting-married-in-a-church or synagogue thing was a covenant to begin with. Now they have to make this part of a law? As far as I have always known, the whole idea of getting married in a religious ceremony was to validate the marriage as a covenant before God in addition to being a legal contract as far as the government is concerned. Just comes across as more self-righteous showboating to me.