February 6, 2005

Obesity Nation

Wow. I know I am behind the curve. (I sometimes think I am about 6 months behind my blog community, but I just watched Super Size Me . Holy cow. I use Fast Food Nation in class and think that is a great look at this industry, but this film does a real great job of visually showing the insanity of our fast food nation. The most disturbing thing, I think, is the pressure that fast food industries put on schools to keep them from having more healthy foods.

In both the book and this video, there are serious questions about how our economic system works, and how we participate in it. This worship of the free market is sick. That is not to say that we legislate away fast food, but good god, let's start talking about our consumption culture.

3 comments:

ANewAnglican@gmail.com said...

Thought you'd like it.

Black Sheep said...

Streak,

Have you read Fast Food Nation?

Streak said...

Yeah, great book. And thanks, Anglican for lending me the dvd.