February 10, 2005

Why do I swear so much?

Seems like every one of my blogger friends has written on this. Hell, even I have. Looking back through the archives I find this post that addressed how I see the problem of seeing words as magical. I would add to that this where I addressed the issue of the ten commandments and taking the Lord's name in vain:
Streak's Blog: "He said that people who use God or Christianity just to make money were violating the 'using the Lord's name in Vain' commandment. That, he said, was not about saying 'Jesus' inappropriately, but misusing the identity of God. Agreed, brother. I would add to that daring to speak for God, but we both agree that some outburst of anger is not what the commandment was about."


And finally, here is one of my favorite posts on the subject.

More can be said. There are certain words I don't like. I don't like swear words that are racial, gender, or sexual slurs. I don't generally direct my words as a weapon towards an individual. I don't for example, tell people to "go to hell" or to "go f themselves." For me, swearing is at least half humor. I think many of these words are just funny, and put in the proper order--hilarious.

I also understand that some people don't like these words. A Texas friend of mine pointed out that my swear words probably cause some people to miss my broader points. He suggested that if I was really trying to reach people or change their minds, swearing was not the way to go. That is only true if I am blogging with that in mind. The fact that others read my blog is cool, but it isn't the only reason I do it. I write this stuff for me. And I really like the swearing! :)

1 comment:

Catholic Girl said...

My use of swear words is definitely affected by the company I'm in. Around my work friends, who are comfortable with it, I'll pepper my conversations with profanities, usually without even thinking about it. What takes concentration sometimes is making sure I don't do that in, say, church choir practice. I'd prefer it if the swearing took concentration and the not swearing was the default, though, because otherwise you're just asking for a catastrophe. One of these days I'm going to screw up while cantoring at church and accidentally say the S-word into the microphone...