February 10, 2005

Purloined Country

Ok, one more. See, that makes my previous post a lie. Right out there in the open.

Edgar Allan Poe was one of the first to write the mystery novel, or in this case, short story. The Purloined Letter was and is a masterpiece. The story, as I remember, revolves around a detective trying to find a stolen letter in the suspect's house. The cops tore through the house looking for hiding places. The detective found it in the most obvious place--right in with the regular mail.

People who support Bush seem to be waiting for some huge shoe to drop; some hidden secret or scandal. But they are avoiding the incredibly obvious lies that the administration does every day. As per my last post, remember that Bush swore during the election that he wouldn't touch Social Security, but now that is the cornerpiece of his second term. Right out in public. In the most obvious place. My friend from Texas keeps telling me that Bush is fine, that I am too cynical, that there is nothing to my fears. He says that Bush cannot be as bad as I say--mostly because Bush can't be as bad as I say. Yet he seems to be waiting for some giant conspiracy and ignoring the daily and obvious lies. Social Security is now on his agenda. During the election, it wasn't.

What else? Remember that the White House has hired journalists to shill for their agenda. Paying them money to act like independent journalists and yet push their agenda. As if that wasn't enough, now this administration, the very same one who has managed every aspect of communication in the White House, allowed a fake reporter to attend news conferences, and this President, the very same one who hates press conferences, called on him. Yet we are to believe that this Administration had nothing to do with it.

See, I lied tonight when I said it was my last post on Bush tonight. When I lied, I didn't realize it. I was still mulling over Bush and fully intended to drop the subject. Oh how I wish Bush's lies were similar. But they are not. And they are out in plain site, in with the regular mail. And the Bush supporters are ignoring the obvious.

Seems like we are back to the situation where either the President's people are so arrogant to put a fake reporter in our midst in an arrogant attempt to manipulate our opinions, or one who is so incompetent in a post 9-11 environment that they allowed a fake reporter inside the White House without a background check.

Which is worse? I want my country back.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Holy Sh*t! I remember hearing the question on the news and thinking, "who is this guy? Is this what passes for journalism these days? So much for minding the peoples' business..."

These sorts of stunts show the contempt the Bush administration has for the American people is astounding. Scary, scary, stuff.

Streak said...

That certainly is how it seems to me too. Just as the bald faced lie about social security. They think the American people simply won't do anything and so far they have been right. If you aren't getting oral sex in the oval office, Americans just don't care.