February 1, 2005

More Joel Osteen

Yeah, yeah. Kind of playing with this guy to see if people react. But it really does annoy me. This from Bad Catholic, and she is drawing from the Wash Post. The quote is unbelievable, though. Think of the false dilemme he sets up. If you criticize wealth--"not God's will for anybody to live where you can't support your family"--then you want him to live in poverty. But he can then justify his own wealth because Roger Clemens is making 18 million. Hope his theology has better logical......Oh, who in the hell am I kidding? This is prosperity shit. Not theology.

Bad Catholic: Unchurch: "I feel like God wants us to prosper,' he said. 'My dad grew up in the Depression. . . . It is not God's will for anybody to live where you can't support your family. . . . [Houston Astros pitcher] Roger Clemens just signed for $18 million -- man, don't tell me I can't have a nice house and send my kids to college.'

Osteen said if the church 'had that vow-of-poverty mentality, I don't know if we could raise $80 million' for the Compaq Center [its new home].

Osteen acknowledged that the church has cut back on its charitable giving because of the Compaq project. He said that this is the 'season' for establishing the church and building his base."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hell, i think it's about damn time for the swansons 'season' of prosperity!! should i pray for this season to come quickly?

brooke

Catholic Girl said...

I still can't get over that. What the hell does Roger Clemens' outrageous salary have to do with anything? Is he advocating for an MLB salary cap or saying preachers shouldn't have one? I wasn't aware the Major League Preachers' Union had taken a stance on the issue...

Wonder how they feel about steroids.