February 8, 2005

ticked off this morning

Guess it is time for another rant. This started yesterday when I read about Bush's proposed budget. As Natalie reminded me on her blog , budgets, as Jim Wallis notes, are moral documents. They reveal much about our priorities.

This budget has me asking the same old question. Where the hell is the church? Where are the supposedly moral Christians when their supposedly Christian President is willing to fund tax cuts by cutting veterans fucking benefits? So, you support this invasion of Iraq? Fine. But don't even you think we should reward those who put their lives on the line?

And the Immoral Budget doesn't stop there. As we have noted several times, the only people not asked to sacrifice by King Bush are the rich. Poor people trying to attend college? Who cares. Veterans who risked life and limb for immoral war? Screw em! The environment? As Tim Lahaye said, my air is cleaner and humans are more important than the environment. Make that wealthy humans. They have less exposure to those environmental problems.

But the modern Christian church doesn't give a shit about the powerless and the poor. Somehow they have morphed Christ from an itinerant rebel preacher who challenged the rich and powerful and reached out to the poor into White, Wealthy, and living in a Gated Community where he Votes against the poor, gay, and minorities, Supports Torture, and Arrogance, drives a Hummer and Scoffs at Nature.

Sorry, guys. I don't even recognize this Christ. Thanks for turning the church into the defense of the powerful and the arrogant. I am trying to find that in the Bible, but no luck. But have no fear, you will save me from the gays and the terrorists. You will demonize the gays and look the other way while we either torture every suspect we can find or send them to a country that will do our torture for us.

My country sickens me right now. But more so I am sickened by the supposedly moral Christians who have turned Christian morality into a joke. I think I understand it now. They are so enamored with Bush as Christian, and so cheap to buy off with a $300 check that principles and morality really mean very little.

2 comments:

Streak said...

Right, it is the government's fault. What a crock. I have news for you. Prior to the government's involvement in fighting poverty, the church was falling behind. And none of what you said comes close to explaining the cut in veteran's benefits or the rigid belief in cutting taxes for the wealthy.

And while I recognize that many churches do struggle to pay for their rent and light, I see church after church that are building sprawling campuses rather than hospitals or orphanages.

Unknown said...

I'm guessing this budget is part of a larger, and deeply ideological strategy; a belief in the notion that gov't can't run social programs as well as the social sector. That can be debated forever. But it is clear that Jesus or any semblance of Christianity has left the White House. Leaving Augustus in his place.