February 13, 2005

Sad Tonight

I lost a friend last week. We played softball together for ~3 years. He wasn't the best player in the world, but neither was I.

I didn't realize at the time that he was fighting a lot of demons. I hadn't seen him since we last played. Since then he lost his job, his marriage, and his health was failing. In and out of rehab--fighting those demons--he lost the battle last week.

He was always quick with a smile. He liked to argue with me on any subject. Any at all. He was a good guy. One of those lights who brightened our day.

We said goodbye tonight at a family memorial. It was really nice to see so many people who cared about him. We laughed about his intensity, his argumentativeness and his golf swing. We grieved his passing.

I will miss him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Me, too.

sg